The Owens Valley is a “greatest hits” playlist for the landscape photographer. Nestled alongside the southern part of the magnificent Sierra Nevada mountain range, you’ll find an amazing breadth of subjects, ranging from Mono Lake to the Alabama Hills, Mount Whitney, the Minarets, and groves of ancient, high-alpine Bristlecone pines. You’ll also find dark starry nights and insane lenticular sunsets, picturesque small towns with good food, and much, much more. Yes, the Owens Valley really has it all.
For this photographic adventure, we will travel the length of the valley, photographing and enjoying all it has to offer. We’ll shoot Mobius Arch and other locations in the Alabama Hills, travel to the striking Mono Lake for sunset and blue hour, and drive along the beautiful June Lake loop, looking for early fall color and reflections.
Download the workshop PDF here for full itinerary, travel & lodging details, gear suggestions, payment terms and more.
Planned Course Schedule:
Day 1: Wednesday, September 14 (10 AM START TIME)
Meet and greet in the common room at our Bishop hotel
Courses: “Owens Valley Preview: Light, Location and Weather,” and “Panoramic Capture”
Student image presentation
Scouting & sunset/Milky Way shoot in the Alabama Hills
Day 2: Thursday, September 15
Sunrise in the Owens Valley
Course: “The Exposure: Camera Settings, Gear and Technique”
Discussion “Milky Way Capture: Stacking & Tracking”
Student day 1 image reviews
Scouting & sunset shoot/Milky Way at Mono Lake
Day 3: Friday, September 16
Sunrise shoot in the valley
Course “RAW Processing Your Images” & open editing session
Open Editing Session + Q&A
Student day 2 image reviews
Sunset/Milky Way shoot at Bristlecone Pines
Day 4: Saturday, September 17
Open Editing Session + Q&A
Student day 3 image reviews
Scouting & sunset shoot Lake Crowley or June Lake
Day 5: Sunday, September 18
Sunrise location TBD (class choice)
Course “Developing Your Own Creative Vision”
Open editing session + Q&A
Day 4 image reviews
Sunset & Milky Way location TBD (Class choice)
• The closest major airport is Reno-Tahoe International, which 4 hours from Bishop. McCarran International Airport in Vegas is slightly further away, at about 4.5 hours. While participants are responsible for their own transportation to Bishop for class, anyone who wishes to carpool from either Reno or Las Vegas should contact me and we can try to coordinate drives among participants.
• From our classroom, we will utilize my 12-passenger Sprinter van, El Jefe, and an additional van to access photo locations. Anyone wishing to drive separately is free to do so.
Classroom and lodging information.
Our classroom, and my lodging, will be at the Creekside Inn, at 725 N. Main Street in Bishop. Tel: (760)-872-3044; https://www.bishopcreeksideinn.com/.
The Creekside doesn’t reserve blocks of rooms, so, if you’re interested in staying there, you should make reservations sooner, rather than later.
There is plenty of other lodging available in the Bishop area. Here are a few hotel options that have been rated well, and are close to the classroom location (listed rates aren’t guaranteed):
• Best Western Bishop Lodge, $148/night, (760) 873-3543; https://www.bestwestern.com/en_US/book/hotel-rooms.05340.html
• Holiday Inn Express Bishop, $179/night, (760) 872-2423; https://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpress/hotels/us/en/bishop/bshop/hoteldetail
• Vagabond Inn Bishop, $130/night, (760) 873-6351; https://www.vagabondinn.com/vagabond-inn-bishop
Please book rooms as soon as possible as they will fill fast.
• Participants who reserved their position with a deposit instead of the full fee will receive an invoice for the balance remaining no later than 60 days prior to the workshop (July 16, 2022). The balance must be paid in full by July 31 to hold your place.
• All workshop payments are fully refundable, less a 10% fee, up to 45 days prior to the first day of the workshop (July 31). Workshop payments are 50% refundable from 44-21 days prior to the first
Download the workshop PDF herefor full itinerary, travel & lodging details, gear suggestions, payment terms and more.