When I travel, I run into people from all over the world who are excited about visiting my hometown. They reference Portland’s amazing culture and world-class food, along with the scenic wonders of the Columbia River Gorge, Mount Hood and the Willamette Valley. This workshop is all about sharing the special place I live—and love—with you.
Our home base and classroom will be in the heart of Portland, just minutes by Uber or public transportation from the downtown hotels. We’ll use my 12-passenger Mercedes Sprinter Van (El Jefe) to explore locations around Portland, Mount Hood, and the spectacular Columbia River Gorge. We’ll also take a trip through the heart of the Willamette Valley’s farmland to Silver Falls State Park, an Oregon jewel that boasts 10 waterfalls. From urban cityscapes and blurred city lights to high alpine lakes, rivers and deep forest waterfalls, my backyard is teeming with a diverse array of visual stories to tell, and I can’t wait to show you the beauty of this area.
Download the workshop PDF here for full itinerary, travel & lodging details, gear suggestions, payment terms and more.
Planned Course Schedule:
Day 1: Wednesday, August 10 (9 AM START TIME)
• Meet and greet at our classroom in Portland’s Hotel Rose
• Course: “Portland and surrounding areas as a location, with a light and weather forecast.”
• Discussion: “Long-exposure photography”
• Student image presentation
• Full moon rising with Mt. Hood in the background
Day 2: Thursday, August 11
• Sunrise shoot by the bridges downtown Portland (optional)
• Discussion: “Panoramic Photography”
• Student day one image reviews
• Trip to Powell’s bookstore and visit to the Pearl for street photography
• Sunset overlooking Portland from Pittock Mansion
Day 3: Friday, August 12
• Drive to Mt. Hood, Trillium Lake and Timberline Lodge
• Student day two image reviews at Lodge on laptop
• Discussion: “Long Exposure & Neutral Density”
• Lunch (Hood River)
• Columbia River Gorge scouting (Horsetail, Multnomah, Latourell Falls) and sunset shoot
Day 4: Saturday, August 13
• Optional Portland dawn shoot
• Student day three image reviews
• Lunch (Silverton)
• Afternoon shoot at Silver Falls State Park
• Sunset TBD (class choice)
• Portland International Airport is ideally situated close to downtown, and you can either take the light rail MAX system—the Red line goes directly from the airport—downtown to our hotel, or you can catch an Uber or taxi just as easily.
• From our classroom, we will utilize El Jefe, my 12-passenger Sprinter van, to access photo locations. Anyone wishing to drive separately is free to do so. (Given the cost of parking downtown, we wouldn’t recommend renting a car, unless you’re also interested in exploring Portland on your own.)
Classroom and lodging information
Our classroom and lodging will be at the Hotel Rose, located in downtown Portland, at 50 SW Morrison Street. The hotel is a block away from a MAX stop, and faces the Willamette River.
Ask for the Hudson Henry Photography group rate when you call to make reservations.
Please book rooms as soon as possible as they will fill fast.
Participants who reserved their position with a deposit instead of the full fee will receive an invoice for the balance remaining no later than 60 days prior to the workshop (June 11, 2022). The balance must be paid in full by June 26 to hold your place.
• All workshop payments are fully refundable, less a 10% fee, up to 45 days prior to the first day of the workshop (June 26). Workshop payments are 50% refundable from 44-21 days prior to the first day of the workshop (June 27-July 20). Any cancellation after that is nonrefundable.
Download the workshop PDF herefor full itinerary, travel & lodging details, gear suggestions, payment terms and more.